Great diet and anytime drink

I have been looking for a low cal drink that I might enjoy instead of the tea POW's drank.  I was checking around and learned they were given several types of liquid drinks other than tea.  One drink I had never heard of, was Roasted Barley Tea ("RBT").

This I learned is a popular drink in Japan and Korea.  By chance I know someone of Korean ancestry and they were able to direct me to a Korean grocery store.  There I was able to purchase RBT in both tea bags and in bulk.  Surprisingly this was very inexpensive as 15 tea bags (large) each making 2 liters of tea was only $2.49.

I was first tempted to roast some of the barley I had on hand.  Better sense told me to buy it pre-roasted, bagged and ready to make since I did not know what I was doing.  I boiled 2 liters and threw in one bag and let it steep for 10 minutes as the package said.  It seemed weak to me, so I let it steep over night.  Next mourning the tea was noticeably darker and the kitchen smelled like I was roasting nuts. Yum.

The nutty and almost earthy cereal like aroma was delicious, but what would it taste like? I  tried it over some ice.  At first my taste buds did not like it.  So I added some Splenda.  Bang!  The nutty taste and the sweetness reminded me of roasted peanuts and popcorn that my father made when I was a kid. I liked it. You can adjust the strength by adding more water to the brewed tea.  Unlike regular tea this does not get bitter from steeping.

The first day saw the 2 liters disappear.  One drink item down, more to go.  I now have a daily drink that is low cal, no fat, no sodium, no caffeine, good for me and CHEAP. A perfect fit for the plan.  Here's the nutrients in a liter of this tea.  You can also drink this hot as tea or as a substitute for coffee.










Serving Size 1 Liter (prepared) (1000ml)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
Calories 120
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0g0%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg
Total Carbohydrate 28g9%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%Iron 32%

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More