Barley beta-glucan soluble fiber lowers cholesterol and reduces risk for coronary heart disease

Since Barley was a key item POWs consumed, I have included it in my meal plan. Barley is one of grains I have on my pantry shelf for the occasional recipe that requires it.  I found the following web pages on Barley helpful and informative.
Barley lowers cholesterol and reduces risk for coronary heart disease
Barley - all about

Hmmm.  Perhaps there was something more going on with feeding the POWs barley than I first thought.  Was feeding barley as part of their diet something that the Japanese knew was good for them?  Odd that it has taken 65 years for the FDA to "catch up" on this revelation.



I did not anticipate that food education would have been a side benefit from this venture. Really, beta-glucan? I didn't know the stuff even existed.

UPDATE: It seems the Japanese did know more about barley.  They learned in 1885 that a diet that included barley prevented Beriberi.  Barley contains the vitamin Thiamine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More